Thursday, April 16, 2015

If Things Can Go Wrong...

The night was supposed to be great.  A friend had set up glow-in-the-dark Ultimate Frisbee for a bunch of guys.  It was going to be a great way to let off some steam.  Relax outside of the hospital.  Get some much needed exercise...


As this continuous infusion has entered its third day, it's starting to catch up with J.  He feels nauseous a lot and has been eating very little.  His mood is getting a little worse, although not quite as bad as when he has been on steroids.  He's a little bit sore in places.   He's tired of his hospital bed.  Not long before I was to leave for the night games, a night time resident came in and said that J's hemoglobin (one of the measures of how much blood is in your blood) had dropped very low.  They tried to talk to J, but he did not want anyone to ask any questions, and he wasn't sure of any answers.

The mystery of the missing blood was not being solved, so I went to play frisbee.  After we had played a while I looked at my phone and saw that my dad had sent a text indicating they wanted to give J a blood transfusion and they needed me to sign consent.  Hmmm.  Kept playing a little longer.  As a side note, if you ever get a chance to play frisbee in the dark, it's a lot of fun.  We had glow sticks to put around our necks or on our wrists and an LED frisbee.  Awesome.  Depth perception a little off in the dark, but awesome night.

We played a little longer than I had intended, so I headed straight for the hospital to sign consent.  I arrived just in time for them to place an IV line in his arm.  Remember, he hates getting poked.  It took a little convincing.  Then I hurried out with my dad to drop my car off to be serviced.  I discovered a flat tire on my car.  It wasn't really raining, but it was starting to rain very lightly.  Uggh.  Love changing tires in the dark and rain.  Dropped the car off, grabbed clothes for the morning and headed back over to see J, just as he was telling the nurse he wouldn't take any medicines until Dad was here.

We're now getting set up for the transfusion.  Hope the benadryl they gave him helps him sleep for several hours.  What adventures await tomorrow?  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment